Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
Winter and Summer Crisis Programs
Are you having trouble paying your heating bill? The Home Energy Assistance Program provides eligible low-income Ohioans with a one-time payment to help them meet the high costs of heating and cooling their homes. Payments are made directly to regulated and unregulated utilities.
Who Is Eligible?
- Total household income must be at or below 175% of federal poverty guidelines
- Clients can only receive emergency assistance once a year during the heating season
How Do I Apply?
- To find out if you’re eligible and to start the application process, please schedule an appointment.
What Do I Need To Bring To My Appointment?
- Proof of income for 13 weeks and/or 1 year (pay stubs, W2, award letter)
- Social Security numbers for everyone in the household
- Proof of citizenship, such as birth certificate, baptism records, passport, voter registration card
- Dates of birth for all household members
- Disconnect notice for gas and/or electric
- Bulk fuel at 25% or less of the tank’s capacity
- Case number from the Department of Job and Family Services
- Current utility statements and/or invoices
- Renters need to bring the name, address, and phone number of your landlord
If you have any questions about eligibility requirements or services provided, please contact us.