Getting Ahead is a 9-week step-by-step life planning process and training offered to adults who are hardworking, play by the rules and are highly motivated to leave poverty behind. Training shows participants how to use the hidden rules of class to build positive relationships by working with co-investigators to research the cause of poverty and how to “get ahead”.
In Getting Ahead participants (investigators) examine their current situations to better understand how our society and economy work.
The two parts of this program are important to addressing poverty. First, the Getting Ahead sessions help you create a mental model of poverty; discover the driving forces and hidden rules of social class; assess your resources; understand the barriers of change, and develop your own unique life plan to move away from poverty.
Second, you will carry out your plans with the assistance of a mentor (ally), and share your knowledge about poverty to assist the community in planning and decision-making.
What You Can Expect
- Dinner and childcare are provided at no cost.
- The group is “kitchen style”.
- There will be 2 facilitators who will help you explore solutions and the group on track—not some one who just teaches.
- Expected class size: 10—12 people.
- 17 sessions, 2 times a week, over 9 weeks for 2 1/2 hours per session.
- Graduation ceremony and certificate.
- $25 gift card for every session you attend
What is Expected of You
- Commitment to attend all sessions.
- Actively participate in discussions and activities.
- Be open to new ideas.
- Be willing to work with an ally to further your future plan.
- Identify your strengths and build a personal future story.
- Work to build financial resources.
- Become skilled at using the hidden rules of class to build resources.
- Receive long-term support from people and resources in your community to help achieve your future plan.
- Help be a part of building a community where everyone can live well.
How Do I Apply?
To find out if you’re eligible and to start the application process, please schedule an appointment.
If you have any questions about eligibility requirements, services provided or how to volunteer please contact us.